Last year’s list of nonprofit holiday gift programs has been getting a lot traffic over the last two weeks thanks to Google searches. In addition to all those wonderful programs, I wrote up 11 more for 2010. Please use your purchasing power wisely and with compassion this holiday season by giving gifts that benefit nonprofits and make the world a better place. It’s been a tough year for nonprofits… they could use your support.
1. Green Gifts by the Natural Resources Defense Council: From Green Energy Boosts to Buffalo Babysitting gifts, the NRDC has a launched a new Green Gifts Online Catalog featuring over 40 gifts that help protect the environment and wildlife. [Purchase Green Gifts]
Mission: To safeguard the Earth: its people, its plants and animals and the natural systems on which all life depends.
2. Inspired Gifts by UNICEF: Givers can purchase a School-in-a-Box to help set up a temporary school in times of crisis, vaccines, and even midwifery kits. Recipients get a card, and you help save lives. [Purchase Inspired Gifts]
Mission: To advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential.
3. Peace Bonds by Nonviolent Peaceforce: The purchase of Peace Bonds enable unarmed peacekeepers to go into conflict zones to protect vulnerable families. Givers can purchase as little as two hours of peacekeeping for $10 or up to 100 hours of peacekeeping for $500. [Purchase Peace Bonds]
Mission: To promote, develop and implement unarmed civilian peacekeeping as a tool for reducing violence and protecting civilians in situations of violent conflict.
4. Animal Adoptions by the National Wildlife Federation: From alligators to walruses, givers can adopt animals in the name of friends, family, or colleagues. Recipients receive certificates, posters, magnets, plush animals, or even binoculars depending upon how much the giver donates. Adoptions range in price from $20-100. [Adopt an Animal]
Mission: To inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children’s future.
5. Acre Adoptions by the Nature Conservancy: Givers can purchase acre adoptions from all over the world. Recipients receive a map, fact sheet, an adoption certificate, and a subscription to Nature Conservancy magazine. A great holiday gift for travelers! [Adopt an Acre]
Mission: To protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people.
6. Creature Adoptions by Oceana: In addition to an adoption certificate, recipients also receive a cookie cutter of either a dolphin, shark, polar bear, penguin, octopus, or sea turtle. Adoptions range from $35-100. [Adopt a Creature]
Mission: Over 70% of our planet is covered by oceans. We’re 100% committed to saving them.
7. Be the Change Gifts by MercyCorps: Givers can buy gifts that educate AIDs orphans, help women open businesses, or even purchase composting kits and cookstoves for in the developing world. Gifts start at $25. [Purchase Be the Change Gifts]
Mission: To turn crisis into opportunity for families in some of the world’s toughest places.
8. Online Gift Catalog by People for the Ethical Treatment on Animals: PETA has everything you could possibly imagine for animals lovers, particularly vegans and vegetarians. Clothes, books, mugs, calendars, computer accessories, and even gift certificates. [Shop PETA]
Mission: To focus attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in the clothing trade, in laboratories, and in the entertainment industry.
9. Holiday Honor Donations by the Make-A-Wish Foundation: Givers can choose whether to send e-Cards or to print certificates for either Christmas or Hanukah. [Make a Holiday Honor Donation]
Mission: To grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.
10. Online Gifts Catalog by PBS: Ideal for supporters of public television, PBS’s online shop has videos and books ranging in topics from arts and culture to travel. [Shop PBS]
Mission: To bring more local stories, independent journalism, arts and culture to Americans.
11. OptInNow Gift Cards by Opportunity International: Givers can donate an amount in the name of a friend, family or colleagues. The recipient receives a gift card that they can then redeem and apply towards a loan to an entrepreneur in the developing world. [Purchase Gift Cards]
Mission: Empowering entrepreneurs through Microcredit & Microfinance to help End Global Poverty. Faster.