Now in its third edition, the 2020 Global Trends in Giving Report provides 100+ donor benchmarks for NPOs, NGOs, and charities worldwide. The data reveal how donors prefer to give and engage with their favorite causes and charitable organizations. In addition to the global benchmarks, this year the benchmarks are also available for six regions:
- Australia and New Zealand
- Canada and the United States
- Latin America and the Caribbean
13,468 donors from 133 countries participated in the survey!
Thank you to our 2020 partners who helped increase the diversity and geographical range of this year’s survey respondents and thank you to Funraise for sponsoring the report!
If you would like to share the report with your communities, you can download a set of promo graphics from DropBox, download infographics from the website, and copy-and-paste a summary of the report.
10 Key Stats from the
2020 Global Trends in Giving Report
- 55% of donors worldwide prefer to give online with a credit or debit card. 12% prefer to give by bank/wire transfer, 10% by direct/post mail, 10% via PayPal, 8% in cash, 2% via digital wallet, 2% by text-to-give, and 1% by mobile money.
- 51% are enrolled in a recurring giving program. Of those, 87% give monthly, 8% annually, 3% weekly, and 2% quarterly.
- 60% have donated to an NPO in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 17% donated on #GivingTuesday 2019.
- 16% participate in endurance fundraising events, such as marathons and bike-a-thons.
- 66% of donors worldwide volunteer with NPOs. Of those, 73% donate to the NPOs they volunteer for.
- 26% of donors worldwide say that email is the communication tool that most inspires them to give. 25% say social media, 17% website, 13% print, 8% TV ad, 4% phone call, 3% radio ad, 2% text message, 1% billboard, and 1% messaging app.
- 32% have donated through Facebook Fundraising Tools. Of those, 89% said they are likely to give through Facebook Fundraising Tools again
- 94% vote regularly in local and national elections. 71% sign online petitions, 23% donate to political campaigns, and 23% participate in marches and protests.
- 96% of donors worldwide say that NPOs are essential for creating social change.