15,285 people worldwide participated in the survey for the 2020 Global Trends in Giving Report. Of those, 1,817 responded that they had not donated money to charity within the last 12 months. Here are six reasons why:
1) 42% responded that they do not give money to charity because they do not have the financial resources.
2) 22% volunteer in lieu of donating money.
3) 17% donate food or goods in lieu of donating money.
4) 12% don’t trust organizations to spend their money well.
5) 7% prefer to spend their money on their family and friends.
6) 2% don’t believe that organizations make a positive difference
Furthermore, 52% of these non-donors said it was unlikely that they would donate money to charity in the next 12 months. That said, those that do not give money to charity, do participate in civic life and are involved in charitable programs – just not as much as donors.
85% of non-donors vote regularly in local and national elections. 70% sign online petitions. 29% participate in marches and protests. 4% donate to political campaigns.