Twitter Moments as defined by Twitter are curated tweets collected into a story. First launched in October 2015 in partnership with a select few media partners, as of September 29 all Twitter users can now create Moments. For nonprofits active on Twitter, Moments are new way to showcase the best tweets about your event or campaign. Moments are meant predominately for live reporting and mobile consumption. You’ll either have a Moment that looks great in Mobile (vertical images and videos) or a Moment better viewed on a desktop (square and rectangle images in full size).
For the International Fundraising Congress 2016 Moment desktop was prioritized. If possible, view the Moment on both desktop and mobile before experimenting with creating your own Moment. That said, creating Moments has a learning curve. Use the nine steps steps detailed below to guide your nonprofit when creating its first Twitter Moment.
1. Go to Moments > Create new Moment.
2. Add a Moment title and description.
3. Create a custom Moment cover sized to be compatible with desktop (1000 x 1000) and mobile (1000 X 575 when cropped).
4. Upload and review your custom Moment cover for desktop and mobile.
5. Add tweets to your moment by selecting tweets (✔️) you have tweeted or liked or by conducting a search.
6. Rearrange tweets in your preferred order by selecting up or down arrows.
7. When finished, select Publish. You will then be prompted to crop photos for mobile. You can crop all photos at once with one click or select each photo individually. Only crop images that are compatible with mobile.
For example, this image is not compatible for cropping.
8. Publish and tweet Moment (⚡) with your Moment cover photo attached. Add location, if applicable.
Alternatively, publish your Moment with an auto-generated cover photo (no image attached to the tweet).
9. Edit your Moment, if necessary. Note that after you have published a Moment, you can only add tweets that you have “Liked ❤️”. Your liked tweets are located at the end of your Moment. To add tweets, repeat steps 5 and 6 above.
Mobile for Good: A How-To Fundraising Guide for Nonprofits
Based on more than 20 years of experience and 25,000+ hours spent utilizing mobile and social media, Mobile for Good: A How-To Fundraising Guide for Nonprofits is a comprehensive 256-page book packed with more than 500 best practices. Written on the premise that all communications and fundraising are now mobile and social, Mobile for Good is a step-by-step how-to guide for writing, implementing, and maintaining a mobile and social fundraising strategy for your nonprofit.