Google research has revealed a 30% uptick in searches from August to September related to charitable giving. Your donors are currently in the process of deciding which organizations will be receiving their year-end donations. Thus, in time for the year-end fundraising season, below are 20 stats about fundraising and social media that every nonprofit needs to know. Overall, the stats indicate a continued upward trend in philanthropy worldwide, a steady increase in online fundraising, and mounting evidence that as the use of social media grows, so does online giving.
1. In 2014, 1.4 billion people worldwide donated money to nonprofit organizations.
2. 12% of all giving happens in the last three days of the year.
3. 64% of all donations are made by women.
4. 72% of all charitable contributions are made by individuals; followed by foundations at 15%, bequests at 8%, and corporations 5%.
5. Matures and Baby Boomers donate most often to places of worship while Gen X and Millennials donate most often to children and youth development.
6. Gen X donates more frequently than other generations.
7. 88% of dollars raised comes from 12% of an organization’s donors.
8. 75% of Americans think they donate more than average. In reality, 72% contribute at a rate below the national average.
9. 84% of Canadians donate to charity with an average individual donation of $446 per year.
10. 53% of Asia Pacific citizens donate to charity, with those in Thailand (71%) more likely to do so and those in Japan the least likely (16%).
11. Volunteers give twice as often to charity as non-volunteers.
12. Text donors are mostly likely to be 49 to 59 years old, female, married and a college graduate.
13. Email results in one-third of online fundraising revenue.
14. For every 1,000 website visitors, a nonprofit raises $612.
15. 17% of crowdfunding donations are made on mobile devices.
16. Nearly 1/3 of all online donations are now a result of peer-to-peer fundraising.
17. Pinterest and Instagram are now the fastest growing social networks.
18. For every 1,000 email subscribers, nonprofits have 285 Facebook Fans, 112 Twitter Followers, and 13 Mobile Subscribers.
19. 65% of all social media activity occurs on a smartphone.
20. 51% of people who visit your website do so on a mobile device.
To gain a better understanding of how nonprofits, charities, and NGOs worldwide use online technology, Nonprofit Tech for Good is conducting the first-ever Global NGO Online Technology Survey. The data will be used to compile a report about regional differences in how NGOs raise money online, use website and email communications, and embrace social media. Depending upon your answers, completing the survey should take no longer than three minutes. Your participation is greatly appreciated!